Sunday, September 19, 2010

Life’s Greatest Mystery is…

In my first blog, I mentioned about my fear of hospitals and more specifically, my fear around death.  I wish I could say I’m no longer afraid of dying, but I’d be partially lying to you…and myself.  That is why I believe that life's greatest mystery is death.

While reminiscing on some of my first childhood memories, I remember how I would sit around and ponder life, death, God, where babies came from, etc.  Just for humor’s sake, I will humiliate myself and let you know my thoughts on these topics.  First: where babies come from.  I thought that when a woman wanted to get pregnant, she would begin to eat fried chicken (including the bones) and spinach for every meal.  The swallowed bones would begin to form into bones that would be the skeleton of the human and the spinach would provide the nutrients.  You know how parents always say, “Eat your vegetables”?  Well, spinach was the token vegetable.  I even wondered at one point why God made men if women were the ones who created, birthed, and raised a child.  But I digress. :) Second: I remember picturing God as a big swirling mass in the sky and becoming confused when I read a picture book about the Christmas story with baby Jesus and his father, Joseph.  I remember pondering the nativity pictures while sitting on the kitchen floor at my childhood home on Paige Street and wondering if God was actually a man since all the nativity pictures showed Jesus’ father as a man (who I later learned was Joseph, not God).  Third: I remember thinking I had the ability to live forever.  I would say to myself, “Whenever my body gets really, really sick and tired, I will just choose to keep breathing.”  I thought people died because they make the choice to stop breathing, and I didn’t want to make that one.  Well, I eventually learned where babies come from…and that God is not a man…but one thing is still a mystery to me: death.

When I was in sixth grade, I remember getting done with something at church and my mom coming up to me saying, “Karen [not person’s real name] is in the chapel and asked if you three kids would come and see her.”  (Brief background: Karen was a lady in our church whose son had died in his early 40’s.  Karen asked my mom if we kids would go to the chapel to see her during her son’s viewing).  Mom assured me, “We’ll just go in for a minute and you can stay right at the door if you want to.”  Being caught up in the rush, I agreed to go see Karen, not knowing exactly what I should be expecting.  Again, I had thought about death as a child, but mostly about how I would avoid dying by continuing to breathe and about what heaven would be like rather than what our bodies looked like after we died.  I walked into the chapel and felt like I had been punched in the stomach with what I saw: an open casket with black and white framed photos resting on it showing the ancestry of this man, a big floral arrangement, and death.  I wanted to bolt, but right at that moment, Karen said, “Go on up and say goodbye to Jim [again, not real name].  It would mean so much to me.”  We walked up and I remember the pain in my stomach moving up towards my throat, then into my eyes, and I just wanted to burst out crying, but not out of sadness.  No, they were tears of utter fear and terror.  Luckily my mom said, “Jim, may you rest in peace,” because I knew if I so much as opened my mouth, I would’ve wailed or screamed or done something terribly embarrassing.  I kept it together until we walked out of the room, but then felt my body shaking and tears streaming.  Is there any way to prepare yourself for the first moment of facing death, even if it is someone you’ve never met?  I’m not talking about the beautifully painted picture of heaven and going home to the Lord, but the side of death that is left here on this earth.  The part we don’t want to talk about.  And in this story, I opted to not talk to anyone about it for several years.  But every night for years, when I closed my eyes, I would see this man – the images and smells haunted me.  He was in my dreams and caused me to wake up in cold sweats every now and then.

I still can’t understand death…no one here on earth can fully understand it.  We don’t even describe death in the same way.  Some people say “s/he died.”  Others say “passed away.”  In the hospital, the medical staff says “expired.”  Some people may say “s/he has joined the Church Triumphant” or “s/he has gone home to be with the Lord.”  Personally, I prefer the word “died.”  I think it captures the finality of it…perhaps this is why I focus so heavily on the earthly side of death.  It is the way I describe death and the way I have witnessed it in my life.

I’m still getting used to death, even being in my residency.  But maybe it’s ok for me to be afraid of death…specifically earth’s side of death.  Perhaps God is ok with me fearing this unknown.  It is part of the mystery of death that I believe God intended at the birth of creation – after all, we are not God or even gods, but humans, and therefore are not able to know all.


Maybe someday I will get to that thin veil between life and death…I will see what’s on the other side…I will have the choice to keep on breathing like I wanted to do as a child or to let go of this earthly life, die, and move into the arms of God.  I hope and imagine that the choice will be pretty simple.

3 comments:

  1. Jenny, I find it interesting with your Dad a minister and you now a minister and being active in the church all your life, that you would be fazed by death. I figure it would be a part of a weekly or biweekly occurrence that you and the family would be required to show up to a funeral or console a church member after a death.

    The first time I actually saw a dead body was when I went to the viewing and funeral for your Great Grandfather, R.A. (Ronnie) Burritt. I was 18 years old, I think, and the situation with your Grandparents’ divorce collided with the funeral. The whole situation was very uncomfortable, and probably should had scared me for life and kept me away from such functions. The second time I went to a funeral was for your Great Grandmother Marion. A few years later it was Virginia Burritt, who was your Great Grandfather Ronnie’s second wife.

    As the years went by, I learned how to organize a wake, viewing, and funerals when your Great Grandparents Stockmaster and Grandmother Martha passed away within six months of each other. A few more years Big Wes, my first husband and his mother died within one year of each other, and once again I found myself in charge of sending a loved one off. I don’t know how I would react if I was young child viewing so many dead bodies of loved ones.

    Through the years, I find myself going to viewings and funerals often and very seldom attend a wedding. I am to the point where a dead body in a casket doesn’t bother me, but a dead body anyplace else does. I remember when my 1st husband, (Big) Wes passed away in the hospital. The hospital staff wanted me to touch his dead body in the hospital bed, so I would have closure. Touching his dead body frightened me to death. That was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life, so far. No hospital chaplain was around to console me either, which as I look back as I write this, surprises me. I am always amazed when I see people in grief touch their dead family members and loved ones.

    I usually say “passed away” or “passed”. That’s the community dialect here in my area. To me, saying the word “dead” seems cold and ugly. Working in genealogy, I at times will become overwhelmed as I transcribe obituaries and catalog cemeteries, because of so much death. I joke to people when they ask me what I do when I “do genealogy”. I tell them “I look for dead people”, so they won’t get confused with me searching for live or lost people. Most times, they drop the subject. But then you have the brave ones who will tell me about their Great Grandma or some such family members. Those are the people I like! Fearless!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that day in the chapel so well. I didn't want you to have to go up there and see his body but his mother was so grief-stricken and so insistent that you did it. Maybe that event was one of the seeds that has brought you to where you are today - such grace from such a small person. You could have screamed or had a tantrum but you went up there quietly and bravely. I'm so sorry you were traumatized for so long after that. My first experience with a body was right after I graduated from college and attended my grandfather's funeral. I told the family that I would go to the viewing but that I didn't want to go up to the casket. Of course they then declared it was time for the grandchildren to come forward and "pay respects" and I was caught in the trap. To this day, when I think of him, that is the picture I see and that makes me sad. I much prefer a service with a closed casket although I acknowledge that others need that closure.

    As for the "where babies come from" story - I'm laughing out loud. WHERE did that come from? It's too funny. Good thing I usually made boneless chicken breasts when I fried chicken. You could have become pregnant at a very early age!!! What a active imagination you had. I'm loving these stories and your insights. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Death doesn't scare me anymore. I blogged about death just a few days ago. I have held death, smelled it, and more than anything wanted it to be me facing death instead of my son. Death still doesn't make sense to me. I hated all the little terms people used after Trent died. I almost always say, "My son died." I hate it when people say, "he passed on" "he is with the angels" "he feel asleep." None of those things happened. My son took his last breath and his heart stopped beating at 8:32am on Jan. 5th 2010. The part of death that I have struggled the most with is the finality of it. There is no going back. There is no fixing it. There is no turning around. Oh, how I wish it was just a choice to keep breathing. I wish we could will people to keep going. But, there is nothing in our power that can stop it from happening. I imagine you will face more death in your next year than most of us will in our life time. I will pray that you never get "used" to it. I know that sounds crazy...but, as the nurses called Trent's 'time of expiration' it was so routine, so normal. And, here I was forever lost without him. I pray that it will always scare you a little. I know I have said it again and again but, the role you are playing is so very important. I know you know that. I know you see it. But, from the patients view, from the one who held her dead child as the chaplain wept with me. I can't even explain how important you will be in those moments of death. I pray for you daily. I fell blessed to have walked beside you for part of the journey that lead to where you are now. And, more than anything thank you for sharing your stories with us. Thank you for reminding us that every single day people face death...the hardest thing in life to accept.

    ReplyDelete